Citizen Science is the systematic collection and analysis of data; development of technology; testing of natural phenomena; and the dissemination of these activities by researchers on a primarily avocational basis.
The fundamental aspect of Citizen Science is that members of the public who are not working as active researchers can be involved and participate in a research project. This can range from projects in which large-scale data reporting and analysis is undertaken or smaller projects in which specific members of the public contribute information or solutions. The talk by Caren Cooper on the theme of Citizen Science: Everybody Counts.
- Blog about Citizen Science with some information on funding sources
- Citizen Science Association
- European Citizen Science Association
- Protein pattern game Fold-it
- NASA’s observation and analysis projects